Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Adoption process

Well, Elizabeth has been with me for 10 months now, and while we still have a ways to go before finalization, we are getting closer! Here is where the process stands now: In September, her birth parents' rights were terminated. They get 60 days to appeal, if they choose to. Anything can happen, but I really am not expecting them to appeal the decision. They last saw Elizabeth in February and have not been present at any of the court hearings. In a lot of ways I really feel for them. They both have many limitations, and have had no family support. From what I've been told, they were both in "the system" as children, too. They sure made one incredible little kiddo, though... Anyway, once the 60 days is up, the actual "adoption process" starts. I already had my homestudy completed, so it should go fairly quickly (let's hope). With the holidays approaching, I'm anticipating the adoption will be finalized sometime this winter, after New Years. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, of course (God, please don't let there be any unforeseen circumstances). I still worry about some great-aunt popping out of the woodwork. Even if one did though, it is hard to imagine that the court would give Elizabeth to a complete staranger after she has lived with me for almost a year. Still, it feels very unsettling to have so few rights and so little say in my daughter's life (legally, anyway) as her "foster mother." But that's ok. It's all part of the process, and I'll go through whatever I have to for this little girl. The important thing is, she isn't aware of any of this process. To her, I'm her mother, no question. She is in her forever home, safe and secure. Have I mentioned how much I love this kid?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...